Roses are red, violets are blue. We've made this sheet cake, just for you! Surprise that special someone on Valentine's Day with an official statement of love-- CAKE. Or, grab a few friends, bake this cake and stuff your face with it while you Netflix n' chill.
Fluffy cake. Chocolatey goodness. Pillowy cream. Notes of coconut. Swirls of honey. Tart yet sweet strawberries.
Dark Chocolate Sheet Cake with Honey Swirled Coconut Whipped Cream & Fresh Strawberries
- 2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup cacao powder
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 8-oz box fresh strawberries, organic if possible
- 1 can coconut cream, **refrigerated overnight**
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- *Optional: 1/2-3/4 tsp beet powder, for color
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, combine your milk and apple cider vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes to curdle-- it becomes a homemade buttermilk!
- Blend your banana into a puree and pour into a large clean bowl.
- Add the coconut sugar, cacao, eggs, oil, milk mixture and vanilla extract and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Pour dry ingredients into the wet and whisk until combined.
- Line a 9"x13" pan with parchment paper and pour the cake batter in. Gently tap on the counter top to remove any bubbles.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Rest for a few minutes then lift the cake out using the parchment folds and set it on a cooling rack. Let the cake cool completely before frosting. (I stick mine in the freezer for about 30 minutes.)
- To make the coconut whipped cream, carefully open the can without shaking and scrape out the hardened coconut cream into a mixing bowl. Discard the liquid.
- Add your honey and beet powder, if using, and use an electric mixer to mix mix mix until it's light & fluffy. You can also whisk by hand but prepare that wrist of yours!
- Frost the cake when it has completely cooled or else the cream will melt right off. Cut the cake into 12 even slices then top with fresh strawberries. Enjoy immediately or store in fridge until ready to eat!