Guest recipe by @tasty_treat_pantry
One of the most delicious fall desserts – apple crumble bars! These bars are easy to throw together and perfect for when you're craving apple pie, but don't have the expertise of baking a pie from scratch.
You could set a date to go apple picking with a friend and plan to bake these bars after. :) Usually apple crumble bars are filled with butter and ton of refined sugars/flours. Peep below for a healthier (yet still delicious) alternative recipe!
Vegan Apple Crumble Bars
Crust and crumble
- 1 ¼ cup + 1 tbsp flour (gluten free or whole wheat)
- 1/3 cup + ½ cup (divided) Mylk Labs Granny Smith Apple & Sunflower Cinnamon Oatmeal
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored, shredded
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Stir coconut sugar, coconut oil and applesauce until combined.
- Add 1/3 cup of Mylk Labs oatmeal and stir. Then stir in flour. The mixture will come together into large clumps.
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into prepared baking pan until it is evenly dispersed.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden brown around the edges.
- Add ½ cup of Mylk Labs oatmeal to the remaining crust. Cut the mixture with a butter knife until it resembles crumbs. This will be your topping. Set aside.
- While the crust is baking prepare the apple filling.
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Add the shredded apples, coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Cook for 5 minutes until the apples are soft.
- Spread the filling onto baked crust. Top with the remaining crust/topping.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting the into bars.
- Serve with drizzled caramel or dairy free ice cream.
Make sure to tag @mylklabs #NutsForOats for a chance to be featured!