Food can act as medicine or poison depending on what/how we eat. For example, when we eat something high in sugar or super processed, we can immediately feel the difference-- aka a food hangover. Same goes for self-care and personal creative time. When we don’t take personal time for ourselves, we eventually start to feel the repercussions.
Learn why rest and personal creative time are just as important as your nutrition.
Rest, Relaxation, & Nutrition
A good night’s sleep, taking the time for personal care, and eating well are all important aspects of your overall well-being, but sometimes it takes work to find the right balance between everything.
A Healthy Lifestyle
A well-balanced, healthy lifestyle often requires good time management and dedication to making time for the things your body needs: food, sleep, exercise, personal and social time. When you are healthy, you are mentally and emotionally fit. You feel good about yourself and create healthy habits that fit your lifestyle and your body.
Finding your definition of health is a great place to start. Start consciously listening to your body and making the right choices for you. Establishing a regular exercise routine that works for you, choosing foods that satisfy you and keep you energized, and engaging in things you are passionate about are three foundational aspects of a healthy lifestyle.
A Good Night’s Sleep
When you wake up in the morning after a night of restful sleep, you feel awake, energized, and ready to take on the day. Sleep also benefits brain function and can maximize concentration, productivity, and performance.
Sometimes it takes a few nights of restless sleep to catch up to your daily life, so making sure that you have a specific nighttime routine that allows you to wind down and relax before getting into bed can help signal to your body that it’s time to rest.
Good sleep is also linked to:
- Enhanced athletic performance
- Reduced risk for depression
- Improved immune function
- Fewer calorie consumption
A Healthy Breakfast
In the morning, after a good night’s rest, you want to fuel your body for the day. Choosing a healthy, satisfying, and nutritious breakfast is a great start to your morning routine.
Breakfast kick starts your metabolism and replenishes your body after a night of fasting. It supplies you with the energy and nutrients your body needs to boost your energy and alertness. There are 5 key vitamins and nutrients you should be getting every morning: folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium.
Packed with magnesium, potassium, iron, and protein, oatmeal cups are a great, quick, and easy way to start your day off right with the vitamins and nutrients your body needs. Plus, they’re perfect for loading with toppings! Add your favorite fruit, maybe a drizzle of maple syrup or a splash of milk, and you’re good to go!
A Creative Outlet
People always talk about self-care in the form of taking baths, meditating, and journaling. However, carving time out in our day for personal creative time can be extremely beneficial for a healthy lifestyle as well. Finding a hobby or creative outlet outside of your job and daily duties can not only help you unwind and relax, but flexing your creativity and focusing on a task can also help you manage stress, uplift your mood, and boost your brain function.
Creative hobbies to try:
- Gardening - Head out to the garden and stick your hands in some soil! Even if you aren’t familiar with it, gardening is a great outdoor activity for beginners.
- Art - No skill required! Even simple doodles are a fun way to focus your mind and have a little fun. Or, have a paint & sip night with a friend with painting and wine!
- Journaling - Start a journal and write down your thoughts. It can be in the form of affirmations, what you’re grateful for, and more! It’s a safe place for you to share your thoughts and release any stress/tension you are holding onto.
- Crafting - There are a wide variety of crafts you can choose from, from paper crafts to functional crafts, fashion to decorative. Find something that sparks your imagination!
- Knitting & Crocheting - Have you ever thought about knitting yourself a scarf? With a lot of books, videos, and other resources, knitting or crocheting isn’t as daunting of a hobby as you might think!
- And So Much More! There are so many different hobbies and creative activities that are out there and might speak to your interests!
Practice self-care, get a good night of sleep, and shop Mylk Labs oatmeal cups so you can stock up on oatmeal cups for the ultimate healthy breakfast.