What is a strawberry shortcake?
Traditionally, a strawberry shortcake is a flaky, buttery biscuit topped with fresh strawberries and topped with a dollop of whipped cream. Sounds delicious doesn't it?
Is strawberry shortcake healthy?
It's not exactly the healthiest dessert since its filled with dairy, butter, refined flours and sugars but it sure is delicious!
Don't worry though-- we've got the perfect healthy twist for you! We use a hazelnut, cacao powder and date for the base, layer it up with fresh organic strawberries, and top it off with coconut whipped cream.
Best part? It's a no-bake recipe so forget turning on your oven in 100F weather. Stay cool, sip some kombucha and let's get (un)baking!
No-Bake Strawberry Shortcake
- 1x Mylk Labs Oatmeal Cup, any flavor**
- 2 large medjool dates
- 1 can coconut cream
- Maple syrup, or raw honey, optional
- 1 pint organic strawberries
- The night before, place your coconut cream in the fridge to harden.
- Soak your dates in warm water for 2 minutes.
- Pour contents of the oatmeal cup into a food processor and blend with the dates until sticky.
- Scoop the base evenly into 2 cups.
- Remove the coconut cream from the fridge and do not shake. Open up the can and scoop only the hardened top portion of the product into a clean, medium sized bowl. Discard the liquid or save it for smoothies.
- Using a hand/stand mixer, beat the coconut cream with desired amount of sweetener until light and fluffy ~2-5 minutes.
- Place a big spoonful of your fluffy coconut whipped cream onto the base.
- Chop up about 1 cup of strawberries and layer it onto the cream.
- Again, take another big spoonful of cream and place it on top of the strawberries.
- Garnish with another strawberry if desired. Enjoy!
**Our hazelnut oatmeal has been discontinued. Check out our other flavors here!