We love a classic strawberry shortcake. If you've never heard of this dessert, you've either lived under a rock your whole life or your parents deprived you of love while growing up. Just kidding! It's essentially a flaky, buttery biscuit topped with fresh strawberries and topped with a dollop of whipped cream. Sounds delicious doesn't it?
It's not exactly the healthiest dessert since its filled with dairy, fat and refined flours and sugars. Don't worry though-- we've got the perfect healthy twist for you! We use a hazel&cacao-date base, fresh organic strawberries and coconut whipped cream.
Best part? It's a no-bake recipe so forget turning on your oven in 100F weather. Stay cool, sip some kombucha and let's get (un)baking!
No-Bake Strawberry Shortcake
- 1x Mylk Labs Roasted Hazelnut & Dominican Cacao Oatmeal Cup
- 2 large medjool dates
- 1 can coconut cream
- *Maple syrup, or raw honey, optional
- 1 pint organic strawberries
- The night before, place your coconut cream in the fridge to harden.
- Soak your dates in warm water for 2 minutes.
- Pour contents of the oatmeal cup into a food processor and blend with the dates until sticky.
- Scoop the base evenly into 2 cups.
- Remove the coconut cream from the fridge and do not shake. Open up the can and scoop only the hardened top portion of the product into a clean, medium sized bowl. Discard the liquid or save it for smoothies.
- Using a hand/stand mixer, beat the coconut cream with desired amount of sweetener until light and fluffy ~2-5 minutes.
- Place a big spoonful of your fluffy coconut whipped cream onto the base.
- Chop up about 1 cup of strawberries and layer it onto the cream.
- Again, take another big spoonful of cream and place it on top of the strawberries.
- Garnish with another strawberry if desired. Enjoy!