What is Tiramisu?
In case you're not familiar with this mouth watering, light yet indulgent dessert, tiramisu is a coffee-flavored Italian dessert made of ladyfingers and whipped cream. The lady fingers are dipped into strong coffee or espresso, and layered with an egg, heavy cream, sugar and mascarpone cheese mixture. Over the years, people have made a ton of variations of it from matcha to earl grey tiramisu!
Here's a fun fact: traditional recipes call for a shot of rum in the espresso!
Try Tiramisu Oatmeal
If you’re looking for a healthier way to enjoy this indulgent and classic treat, try making a tiramisu inspired oatmeal bowl. We essentially use oatmeal as the lady fingers and layer it with vegan yogurt and a heavy dusting of cocoa powder to give it that *chefs kiss* look.
If you haven't seen it already, it's been trending on Instagram, #tiramisuoats.
For the oatmeal:
- 1x Roasted Almond & Himalayan Pink Salt Oatmeal Cup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk (hot)
For the cream layer:
- ⅓ cup plain or vanilla non-dairy yogurt
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- Cocoa powder
- Cacao nibs
- Add the chia seeds, espresso powder, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the oatmeal cup.*
- Stir until everything is combined.
- Add in the hot milk and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix together the yogurt and remaining maple syrup.
- In a bowl add a layer of the oats, then the yogurt mixture, then another layer of oats. Top with cacao powder and cacao nibs if desired.
*You can make the oats the night before if you like. Make sure to tag @mylklabs and #NutsForOats to be featured. Enjoy!